Wednesday, January 21, 2009

John Marshall

Like most girls, I started dreaming up baby names when I was just a little girl. For example, Peggy Eileen, my beloved Cabbage Patch doll, and then there was Desiree, my favorite "actual size baby" baby doll. But Peggy and Desiree? Seriously?!?! No offense to those with that name, but what was I thinking? Then I met my husband my freshman year at Baylor, and started dreaming up names for our children - which, if he knew at the time, probably would have freaked him out and caused him to run far, far away - especially since I always included his middle name Marshall into my first/middle name combinations, whether for a boy or a girl. He would totally have thought I was a freak. I never really thought of boy names - because, why would I have a boy? I don't know boys, I come from an all girl family, I never really babysat boys, etc., etc. etc. But, in the back of my mind I always knew that if I were to have a boy (pending my husband's approval) that he would be named John - after my Dad, Granddaddy (my Dad's father), and my Great Grandfather (my Mom's GDad). After we got married, and were no where near having children, J would humor me and discuss baby names with me. We would always spend lots of time on the girls names - and briefly make name combinations with "John." As soon as I saw the magical digital word "pregnant" appear on that test - I KNEW I was having a boy and J and I decided to name the baby after his grandfathers and his father - giving our little guy his Dad's initials as well. During "the" ultrasound, I felt a tad bit like Miranda from the SATC episode where she "faked" her ultrasound when she found out she was having a boy. The ultrasound tech pointed out the obvious part, all excited, and Justin and I were like, "yep. ummm hmm." - honestly more concerned with counting ten fingers, and ten toes. We just KNEW we were having a little guy - and were thrilled to be able to leave and actually say HIS name out loud - John Marshall!!! And I think we have officially decided to call him "John Marshall" - "John" sounds a little too serious (to me) for just a little baby!

9 comments:

S, J, B, & S said...

LOVE IT! It's a perfect name for your little man!!

etphonehome21 said...

Way better than John Wayne, but Grandpa Sparks would probably disagree with me.

Lindsey said...

i love the name! so classic and strong! i was just like you as a child...had all of these baby dolls and would spend so much time coming up with their names. ha. i remember i liked angie for a long time as well as shane for a boy. cracks me up so much now! ;) ~lindsey

Kimberly Jordan Walker & Sophie said...

i love what you two chose. ditto on it being a great, strong name. so fun to have a name to call him by.

Joanna said...

Cute! I love it! My little brother is John Michael and we call him by both as well! So exciting!

Lauren Kate said...

Love the name and love that you felt a bit like Miranda during the ultrasound!

Jay and Kristen said...

That is a perfect name...and its good for a baby and an adult...thats hard to do!!! congrats again!

Son and Julie said...

I love that name! It is perfect & it is so cute that he will have the same initials as Justin also. Congrats again - I am so happy for you guys! BTW - I had to drink the glucose today & it wasn't that bad. It was only about the size of a small bathroom paper cup and tasted like realy strong sugar water...

have a lovely said...

precious name!!! and so special that he will share initials with his daddy while having a name that means a lot to your family too! so many congrats...he sounds like a healthy little dude! many blessings!!!