Sunday, February 8, 2009

Labor of Love, or - What We Justin Did This Weekend...

When we moved into this house, we knew which room would be the nursery. It's my favorite bedroom in the house and has great windows and great light. I have had the bedding and bed picked out for a while, and I had not a clue what to do with the room. What color to paint it, etc. I knew that I wanted to keep it light - because I love how light it is in there right now. Regan suggested putting up beadboard, and after a while - that sounded like a good idea! J thought that sounded like a simple enough task, and he and Cason had planned on putting up the beadboard together all day Saturday. Well...poor Mr. Cason got the flu, so it was just me (ha! ha!) and J. I helped him glue a few boards, and hold a few things into place while he used the nail gun, but mainly it was him all day long. I left him for most of the afternoon while I went to a baby shower. I came back and was so impressed! I have to admit that I was kind of nervous when he decided to take this task on...I mean - I haven't ever seen him work with a saw, or put up trim/molding before, sooooooo I was just the tiniest bit apprehensive that things wouldn't turn out as perfect as I wanted. BUT, by 12:30AM he had put all the beadboard and trim up, cleaned up the mess, and swept the floors! And it looks amazing! I also have to mention that because our house was built in 1923, the walls are crooked, the trim is crooked, and not one window has the same dimensions so it was harder than just measuring underneath/to the side of all four windows and making identical cuts. I married a handy man!!! Today we have spent some time caulking and covering up the nail holes. Well, mainly J has been doing it. I have a lovely pain in my groin that only allows me to squat and bend for so many minutes at a time. Tomorrow we will sand it all down, and sand the trim, and hopefully get started painting the trim and beadboard (white, of course) sometime this week. Again, it will be Justin doing the painting, since I am not supposed to be around the fumes, I think? I am not sure yet what color we will paint above the board, but I will figure that out when I get there.

Here are a few pics from early this morning before we started patching. The lovely sheers you see were left over from the previous owners. And those aren't orbs in the pictures, it isn't a haunted nursery...just something nasty on my camera lens that I can't get off. Nice.

Here is the view from the doorway...

And THIS is my little buddy, who has to sit in my lap while I attempt to patch the nail holes.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

That IS such a great room, I can't wait to see how it all comes together. How are you feeling?

Suzanne said...

Yay for Justin! I'm so impressed! It's going to look great!

etphonehome21 said...

That's so awesome. Good job Justin! I can come help him paint and you can watch Gracie, just let me know when.

Kimberly Jordan Walker & Sophie said...

You've got yourself a Bob Villa too!!! Nice work Justin!!! Can't wait to see it painted :).

Lauren Kate said...

I adore beadboard- excellent choice!

The Montague's said...

Justin did awesome!!! Don't you love a handy man?!! I can't wait to see it all finished, its going to be perfect!

The Bird Family said...

it looks great! Can't wait to see it all put together!

Jay and Kristen said...

Awww...It looks SO good! I love that room and I cannot wait to see it with all the nursery furniture!